Rheumatology is the medical specialty that focuses on treating people who have joint, muscle and bone disorders. Typical complaints people see a rheumatologist for include pain, swelling and/or inflammation to the bones, joints or muscles.
There are many possible causes for the conditions that rheumatologists treat. Sometimes it's simple wear-and-tear; the result of overuse or an injury or perhaps just age. One of the most common conditions rheumatologists treat is arthritis. An estimated 40 million Americans have arthritis.
Other rheumatic diseases are caused by autoimmune or infectious illnesses and some have genetic roots. It's important to identify the reason for musculoskeletal pain early on because the faster a condition is identified and treated, the more likely you are to get relief.
Whatever the cause, if you often experience joint pain or swelling that makes it hard for you to do the things you want and need to do, a rheumatologist may be able to help. We're pleased to have on staff two rheumatologist with over 6 years of treating patients with a variety of rheumatic diseases.
A Team of Experts Delivering Multifaceted Arthritis Care
At the Torrance Memorial Physician Network, we emphasize multidisciplinary care. Our expert team works collaboratively to diagnose, treat and manage chronic illnesses. We'd like you to know that we believe:
- All people should be treated with kindness and respect. Our philosophy emphasizes treatment of the "whole patient," personally and medically.
- You deserve access to the most cutting-edge diagnostic tools, physical therapy and support groups available; our treatment plan emphasizes personalized support.
- Your whole medical team should be kept up to date on your diagnosis and treatment. Our unique partnership with the primary care doctors here at the Torrance Memorial Physician Network allows us to stay in touch every step of the way.
- You, the patient, are the most important member of your medical team. Dr. Cooray and her medical team take the time to answer questions and provide all the information you want and need about your condition and treatment options.
Rheumatic Conditions We Treat
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Behcet's Disease
- Degenerative disc disease
- Giant cell arteritis
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Raynaud's syndrome
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sarcoid Arthritis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Takayasu arteritis
For more information please call us at 310-257-7297.
Fibromyalgia Support Group
Sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation and meets from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM on the second Saturday of the month. A voluntary $2.00 donation is requested.
For more information, call 310-519-8961.
Although arthritis treatment usually includes medication, exercise can help relieve pain and fatigue and preserve joint structure and function. Torrance Memorial Physician Network in afflication with Torrance Memorial Medical Center offer exercise classes to our patients at a discounted price, such as:
Align The Spine
Eliminate back pain and stiffness, improve posture, and free mobility, doing GENTLE floor exercises using the Feldenkrais Method®.
Learn correct, safe techniques for strengthening your upper and lower body using flexible exercise bands.
Gain greater flexibility, strength and confidence doing yoga fitness exercises adapted to a seated position in a chair.
Call 310-517-4711 to register for a class